Sunday, April 29, 2012

Watch Out, U-Turn Words Ahead!


How annoying, right Middle Schoolers? You think you understand what a speaker or author means. Then bam! They stick in a "but." Suddenly they mean the opposite of what they just said. Outrageous. 


Mizz C. wants you to have the list of U-Turn words--transition words--that often appear in standardized test reading passages. If you see these words, be on the alert. The passage is heading in the other direction!
U-Turn, transition words:
although 
but 
even though
however
on the other hand
otherwise
yet

U-Turn Sentences:

Although I’d love to try that mystery meat casserole, I might be allergic.

I know finishing my homework is important. However, trimming my toenails is important, too.

I like you, but . . . (I secretly mean the opposite of what I just said.)

I know I should put away the dishes. On the other hand, if I let them air dry, everybody can find them faster.

Even though it’s a school night, having a sleepover will help me learn more if I study with my friends.

I’d better eat the rest of these cookies. Otherwise they might get stale.

I know it’s time to come inside, yet it doesn’t make sense to go to bed if I’m not tired.






No comments:

Post a Comment